Black bean dyed, just unwrapped, before a wash and dry.
So I gave Black Bean a try, using a old cotton table cloth. It came out a lovely color , but the color faded a lot when it was washed and dried. I did soak the tablecloth in vinegar but obviously I should have mordant the fabric. Darn. Lesson learned.
Homayoon came home with a bunch of fresh rosemary ! Of course I had to try to make dye. I cooked the rosemary an hour on simmer, then let it sit an hour, then added the mordant cotton and repeated the process. It came out a very light green...can you see it in the picture below? I put it on top a white cloth hoping you could see the green more by comparison. Oh Well.
Now to try it with the rust..... for a later post:)
I promise I have been working even though I haven't posted. My process does take a lot of time, making the materials to work with is a step I can't do without, it is what inspires the final piece. I would rather call it play since the more I have fun with the process and experimentation the more the creativity comes out. Always at some point I say to myself you have to narrow it done, there are too many possibilities! In the next couple of posts I will share some results and choices I have made, what to keep working with, what to give up.Turmeric is definitely staying.
The color is a pleasure to work with, so rich and luscious. Here I've used a thick paste to paint it directly on to the clothe.