My aim here is to blog from where I left off, covering the work done for the project, and the opening show. Regardless if anyone reads this blog or not( sorry lost readers due to domain issues) it will stand as a journal for me. For any artist starting out I highly recommend keeping a blog so you can see where you were and where you are now. Perspective is something artist are always thinking about in there work. A journal is an excellent way to keep perspective in your artist development.
So when I left off in May I was still experimenting with dyes, coming to the realization that there were too many variables and I would have to choose a few dyes if I were ever to finish. I choose rose petal dye, a lovely soft blushing red until it came in contact with the rust when it turned black. Turmeric which was shocking bright alone but mixed with the rust became a rich golden brown. I used tea of every color, white, black, red...to create grays, blacks and caramel colors varying in intensity depending on how they were applied with the rust.
At this point I had also decided on the fabric I would use for this project. One series was to be done using Kuba clothe, a hand woven cotton clothe which is woven in a lose weave in strips of 5 inches then sewn together to make a whole clothe. I had purchased some while in South Africa but it most likely it was made in North Africa. It had been painted with mud but the colors were very faded after many years, although the clothe was still strong. I decided to pick it apart so I would have strips of 5’’ which would be perfect for this series. I then de-colored some or all of the remaining color.